iMUSE - iMUSE for People with Complex Needs
- Location: Burton Stone Community Centre
- Time: Bookable 30min sessions on Wednesdays and Fridays
- Cost: £5
iMUSE provides a relaxing and creative space where participants can connect with the world around them, make their own choices and develop non-verbal ways of communicating.
iMUSE uses interactive technology to help participants experience:
- Relaxation – a vibrating mattress gently massages the body. This calms and focuses the mind, relaxes muscle tone and reduces anxiety and stress.
- Accessible Music Making – you don’t have to have any previous musical experience to make music with iMUSE. Motion sensors detect your movements and turn them into sounds.
- Creating visuals – a microphone picks up sounds and iMUSE transforms them into graphics and projects them into the iMUSE space.
- Using switch technology - to create and control an accessible jukebox, instrument sounds, and the projected visuals.
Each session lasts for 30 minutes. Our facilitator works with the participant to find out which sounds, music, and visuals help them to relax and focus. They then use these to personalise their iMUSE experience so it’s tailor-made for them.
Who benefits from iMUSE?
- Anyone who responds to and enjoys music and sound.
- Anyone looking for a creative, interactive or therapeutic activity designed to enhance wellbeing.
- People who experience anxiety, discomfort, and pain, including people with a range of learning, physical and cognitive disabilities.
What benefits can iMUSE bring about?
- iMUSE can help participants who are agitated and anxious become relaxed and calm.
- iMUSE can help participants become engaged and alert, more aware of themselves and others.
- Creating music or visuals can help participants to express themselves and develop non-verbal ways of communicating.
- Participants learn that they can control the iMUSE space by making and expressing their own choices. This can lead to them becoming more reflective, more communicative and, often, more playful.
- iMUSE can help participants become more prepared and focused for other activities
- iMUSE supports an Intensive Interaction Environment, helping support workers to develop a deeper understanding of the person they’re supporting and build a closer relationship.
- Taking part in regular iMUSE sessions can help these benefits to build over time.