Hands and Voices - Hands and Voices Weekly Sessions
- Location: Burton Stone Community Centre, York
- Time: Wednesdays in term time from 7pm - 9pm
- Cost: £5 (subsidised places available)
Hands and Voices meet weekly during term time. Sessions are built around performances the choir are working towards, whether that be a traditional concert or busking in York. The choir has a diverse repertoire of contemporary songs, songs from the shows and classic tracks from across the years. All of which are given the famous Hands and Voices twist.
Taking part in Hands and Voices helps you:
- Learn new musical skills
- Develop social and communication skills, including learning to use simple signs
- Develop skills in team working
- Develop leadership skills as part of our Apprentice Training programme
- Build confidence - making music with other people is a great way to boost confidence
- Meet new people and make new friends
What happens in a typical Hands and Voices session?
Hands and Voices gives you the chance to be in a singing and signing choir. Each week we start off with warm-ups, to help your brain and body get ready for making music and singing. Typical session activities include:
- Learning to sing and sign songs
- Creating new pieces of music
- Writing new songs
- Working towards performances (we do at least two public performances each year)
- Socialising with friends
You’ll also get the chance to take part in our Hands and Voices Committee. The Committee meets at least once a term. It’s a chance for Hands and Voices members to tell us how things are going and feed into the development of the project. The Committee help us decide on creative themes and come up with ideas for social activities, days out and fundraising activities.
Some people come to Hands and Voices independently and others come along with a carer or support worker. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your individual support needs.
To find out more you can email us at [email protected] or call us on 01904 626965 for a chat.