iMUSE - iMUSE for Mental Wellbeing
- Location: Burton Stone Community Centre, York
- Time: Bookable 30min sessions on Wednesdays and Fridays
- Cost: £5 (subsidised places available)
iMUSE provides a space where you can relax, forget the outside world and feel free from anxiety and stress.
iMUSE uses interactive technology to help participants experience:
- Relaxation – a vibrating mattress gently massages the body. Combined with deep breathing and other relaxation techniques, this calms and focuses the mind, relaxes muscle tone and reduces anxiety and stress.
- Music Making – you don’t have to have any previous musical experience to compose your own music with iMUSE. Motion sensors detect your movements and turn them into sounds that can relax and lift your mood.
- Creating visuals –a microphone picks up sounds and iMUSE transforms them into graphics and projects them into the iMUSE space.
Each session lasts for 30 minutes. Our facilitator works with you to find out which sounds, music, and visuals help you to relax and focus. They then use these to personalise your iMUSE experience so it’s tailor-made for you.
Who benefits from iMUSE?
- Anyone who responds to and enjoys music and sound.
- Anyone looking for a creative, interactive or therapeutic activity designed to enhance wellbeing.
- People who experience anxiety, stress, discomfort and pain.
What benefits can iMUSE bring about?
Through relaxation and mindfulness, iMUSE can help you control your mood and make sense of changes in your behaviour.
iMUSE can complement traditional talking therapies as a self-care tool by helping you to focus and be in control of your thoughts and anxiety levels so that you’re in a better frame of mind before going into a therapy session.
Creating music or visuals can help you express your feelings without words. As you learn to control the iMUSE space, you become more confident and more creative.
Taking part in regular iMUSE sessions can help these benefits to build over time.